Thursday, September 1, 2016

Oliver Martin Talks Recruiting


West High senior Oliver Martin
By Ryan Murken
Your Prep Sports
IOWA CITY – Sometime between now and the national signing day in February Oliver Martin plans to make a decision about his future.

Right now, the Iowa City West High senior receiver is more concerned with making plays on the football field than making a choice on a college.

After exploding onto the national recruiting scene this summer, Martin opened the season with an eight-catch, 156-yard performance in a 42-17 win over Southeast Polk.

On Tuesday Martin said he had no timetable to end what has turned into a whirlwind recruiting process for the 6-1, 195-pounder.

“I don’t have a definite date that I want to get it done by,” Martin said. “I just want to get to know the colleges more. The big thing is just talking to my mom and dad about it and try to make a decision about.”

Martin became one of the country’s most coveted wide receiver recruits during the summer.

He shined at the Opening regional in Chicago and later at the Opening Finals in Oregon.

Martin picked up offers from Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, BYU and Oregon among others following his strong summer that saw him climb into the top national top 100 by 247Sports.

The recruiting service ranks Martin as the 67th best player in the nation.

He backed up those rankings with his week one performance that also included a 17-yard touchdown pass and an interception.

“It was a long spring and summer leading into it, it felt like the summer went by kind of slow with so many workouts and stuff,” Martin said. “So it was definitely a good feeling to get back on the field again.”

Martin is still working through his future plans.

He said he plans to start taking visits soon and knows a few colleges he wants to take in games at but hasn’t finalized his visit list.

“I know there are some colleges that I want to go to on unofficial visits for sure,” Martin said. “I’m working on setting up my official visits. I’m just talking to my parents about it now.”

According to Martin the hometown Hawkeyes will factor into his decision.

“They are definitely in the mix,” Martin said of Iowa. “I’ve got it kind of narrowed down and Iowa is definitely in it. I know that Iowa is a great option and living here my whole life I know it’s a great tradition here.”

No comments:

Post a Comment